On Sunday we adopted and adult Boxer mix… sweet as can be, in many ways a darling and wonderful dog…..and rather WILD. He has separation anxiety…and eats stuff he shouldn’t. Leroy Brown was a street dog..and now this bull lives in the china shop of my house…and home office. Each day he greets me with lots of pleasure….and LOTS of work. On our walk today, I thought…. “Leroy Brown…you are a lot like my business.”
- His name has changed a few times– till we found the one that LIT us ALL UP and was truly him.
- I had a desire to get a new dog…. to grow our family. Bill kept saying it would complicate our life. I kept saying it wouldn’t and that it would be SOOOO nice. Expanding our family HAS complicated things greatly. Totally whacked out my schedule…tested my patience…and opened my heart. It has been worth it….and the true joys haven’t even come yet!
- He barks at me from the other room– seems to be always demanding my attention. And yet, sometimes I just gotta take care of ME…my heart & body & mind & spirit– and then I’ll be back.
- I enjoy our little training and growing sessions. Sometimes we really have fun together.
- He needs lots of little tiny nudges and systems and rituals to be his best. These early days are crucial for laying the foundation. Timing is everything…and so is attitude. Especially my attitude toward him.
- While sometimes I see growth quickly- he sits well, and is learning to wait his turn to go through any open door… other skills are taking longer– much more training and soothing and practice involved. It is hard to not want him to be perfect right now. And I know… it will come, one step at a time.
I know building trust and a working relationship with this dog, doing the repetitive boring stuff, giving him the time and attention and course corrections he needs….will bring about an amazing companion that our family will enjoy for years.