Living from the inside out. This topic has come up so many times over the last few years. I’m finding this journey of discovering one’s true self from looking within, instead of reacting to outer influences…is a natural developmental part of life- especially for those who do personal inner work.
I was inspired to draw this poster because, I personally was really shifting to standing in my personal truth and in the tallness of who I really am…of who I was born to be. This journey is, of course, ongoing, and that first step was completely transformational.
Recently, I have attracted many clients who are all going through a similar self discovery. Of course I am not surprised, as the vibe we put out is the vibe we get back. I love supporting people in this journey. YOU can feel the peace of authentic living, of being who you were meant to be….I KNOW you can!
Naturally I understand, and have experienced, many reasons for NOT changing- especially those centered around financial security and social/professional acceptance. I call these things resistance reasons…and they are worth curious consideration…BUT these reasons are all reasons to stay SMALL and this post is about STANDING TALL in who you really are.
Here are a few questions to ask yourself. Pay attention to your feelings in the answers– not just your thought. Grab your journal or a piece of paper and noodle these answers out. I recommend you separate what your heart says, versus, what your head says for each question…and sub-question. Yes, this is work! And you are worth it…the results and clarity you will get by doing the work…will be worth it.
1. Where am I now? Take a snapshot of your life. What is your level of satisfaction in each area of your life:
- Health – Physical and Mental
- Personal Growth
- Physical Environment
2. What do I feel really good about right now? What has been working? Has there ever been a time when you have really felt like your true self? What are the elements of that situation? What specifically were you feeling in your heart, in your body during this time? Who were you being and what were the circumstances or people that contributed to that feeling?
3. What do I feel a nagging disatisfaction about right now? Recall a time or situation your gut has told you wasn’t right for you. What was it about that situation that triggered the dissatisfaction? Who were you being? What feels off right now? When you feel off what sensations do you experience in your body? What specific emotions do you feel?
4. What do I really want? The question of the ages. So many things you want to do with your life and so little time to even go about during the day. If there were not option to fail, or to not BE all that you would like to be….WHO would you be, What would you like your life to look like? What would you like to feel, from deep within?
5. What is the best that could happen, if I did decide to make a change? For now, toss aside all the “Yeah Buts” and just stick with the possibilities. Don’t worry about the HOW to change…just the WHAT if I did change…what could be possible if I were living in the tallness of who I REALLY am?
6. What motivates me? What motivates you? It’s an answer you have to find out for yourself. There are so many things that can make everyone happy. Really consider what desires are stirring? What gets you excited emotionally? What gets you energized and ready to take action?
7. What really makes me tick? What really makes you tick? You can be just about anything you always wanted to be, but to realize that attaining something that may seem very difficult is already giving up before you even start that journey. Always remember, that self-improvement is not just about the physical or philosophical change you have to undergo, but it’s something that you really want.
8. How the heck am I’m going to do this? Skip immediately to the next questions. The HOW TOs get us freaked out and can often stall us on this important path of self discovery. Naturally, it can get overwhelming and so, again, skip to the next question.
9. Who can help me on this journey? If you have made it this far I want to take a moment to say HOW COMPLETELY COURAGEOUS and BEAUTIFUL you are! As you already know, these kind of questions are really work– a work that is worth doing. The step from living a small life…to stepping in to the tallness of who you really are is a journey and one that is best not taken alone! Who is currently in your life that is truly supportive, that brings out the best in you? Who may you need to distance yourself from? Do you have a life coach? DO you have a STANDING IN THE TALLNESS OF WHO YOU ARE COACH?
For years I was walking on this journey by myself– maybe a friend here or there who understood parts of the path–but somehow, I always ended up alone in the end…alone and stuck. Making a decision years ago to get someone on my team, to hire a coach, was one of the best things I did for myself! I wasn’t alone anymore!
At 26, I reached out and found my first WHO…the who can support me on this journey. I started out with talented counselors and therapists, and in the last 10 years have moved to brilliant coaches– Life Coaches, Business Coaches, Intuitive Coaches, Exercise Coaches, Creative Coaches, Relationship Coaches— I’m a believer in coaching and I can’t wait for you to experience the results and positive change having a coach can bring. I’m approaching 40 and can’t imagine not having the support and extra set of eyes that my coaches give me. Who can you get to be on your team?
If you want to find out more about what coaching can do for you…send me a note- let’s set up a time to visit on the phone. Imagine…no more defrauding yourself…no more feeling that itch of discontent …no more playing small. Imagine standing in the tallness of who you really are!